Sauerkraut & Sausage Bake
A warm and hearty Eastern European inspired dish that is sure to keep the cold away!
- 1kg Ukrainian Smoked Sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1kg sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- cracked pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Crusty bread and hot mustard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- In a large ovenproof pan or pot, saute the onion and sausages in the olive oil, over medium heat. Cook for approx 6 minutes.
- When onion is golden and sausages are lightly browned, add the apples and saute for another minute.
- Add apple cider, vinegar, sauerkraut, a couple of grinds of cracked pepper and the caraway seeds. Stir to combine, remove from the stove, cover and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread and hot mustard.